#asCondition

Lukas Renggli renggli at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 17 19:24:58 MET 2006

>> If you don't want to store your descriptions externally
>> (ReferenceStreams, Magma, OmniBase, ...) you can also use plain
>> blocks, that is maybe easier most of the time.
>
> When does one would want to store his descriptions ?

If you let your end-users build their own forms.

We once wrote a workflow definition and runtime engine at nestyle.ch
using Magritte, where the users could build their own forms and
define validation conditions on the form elements, all  from the web-
browser without programming knowledge. The meta-model is then stored
in OmniBase. That's way I payed so much attention to make everything
serialize-able. That being possible is one of the key advantages of
Magritte over other meta frameworks, e.g., Mewa expects a lot of
blocks everywhere.

As I said previously, you are not forced to worry about theses
things, it is more of a technical than a design question: since I
this is Smalltalk you can exchange conditions and use block-closures
polymorphic. Each of the approaches has its own (dis-)advantages.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch